Conrad Reed discover a 17 pound gold nugget in a creek in nearby Cabarrus County, NC.
Elias Boudinot, Director of The U.S. Mint, informs Thomas Jefferson of the considerable amount of gold in North Carolina.
All domestic gold that is coined by the U.S., comes from N.C.
Samuel McComb opens the McComb Mine on his farm (near present-day Panthers/Bank of America Stadium). It was later renamed the Old Charlotte Mine and finally St. Catherines Mine.
Charlotte's first newspaper, The Catawba Journal was established.
Absolom Holbrook found gold on Rudisill Lode, later changed to Rudisill Mine.
Samuel McComb sells his interest in Charlotte Mine to Humphrey Bissell.
Don Vincenzo de Riva Finoli, a Milanese Count arrives in Charlotte. Count Riva Finoli; along with over 50 European miners, purchased the leases and manages the Rudisill Mine and the St. Catherine's mines, under Mecklenburg Gold Mining Company. Count Riva Finoli builds a large mansion at the northwest corner intersection of Morehead and South Tryon Streets.
Miners and Farmers Journal, begins publication in Charlotte.
Bank of New Bern is established in Charlotte.
The Bechler Mint; in Rutherfordton NC., issues the United States very first Gold $1.00 coins.
Officials meet to discuss the possibility of obtaining a railroad in Charlotte.
Bank of North Carolina established in Charlotte.
U.S. Congress approves 3 Mint Branches. Charlotte, NC/ Dahlonega, GA/ and New Orleans, LA. President Andrew Jacksonsigns this into law.
The mines shut down during the depression of 1836 - 1837. Count Riva Finoli leaves Charlotte, for New York.
Through foreclosure proceedings, Captain Charles Wilkes; U.S. Navy, obtains possession of St. Catherines mine.
Charlotte Mint opens. The first U.S. coin minted outside of Philadelphia, PA in $2.50 and $5.00 denominations.
John E. Penman acquires the Rudisill Gold Mine.
Production of gold helps to sustain the economy in Mecklenburg County, through the end of the Civil War.
John E. Penman gives up his mining ventures and becomes a Methodist minister.
The Rudisill mine is only worked near the surface, by local miners.
A contract was established for a railroad connecting Charlotte with Columbia, SC.
Gold is discovered in California. Many Carolina miners move out west.
Production of the first $1.00 coin starts, at the Charlotte Mint.
The Bechtler Mint closes.
The Charlotte railroad connects to Columbia, SC.
The Bank of Charlotte is established.
The Rudisill property is sold to Rudisill Gold and Copper Company, a New York firm.
The railroad connects Charlotte to Salisbury, NC.
The Rudisill property is sold to Rudisill Gold Mining Company of Baltimore, MD.
The U.S. Mint in Charlotte is seized and coin production is halted. The Mint is used as a military headquarters and later converted into a hospital. The Charlotte Mint had issued over $5 million dollars in gold coins.
Northern capitalists, reopen the gold mines.
John Wilkes; son of Charles Wilkes, organized The First National Bank of Charlotte.
The Charlotte Mint is reopened by the U.S. Government as an 'assay' office. Charlotte is home to three banks.
The Daily Carolina Observer (later to become The Charlotte Observer) starts publication.
The Rudisill Mine is sold to James H. Carson, Robert Miller, and John W. Wadsworth. Miller later helped found The Union National Bank of Charlotte (which later becomes First Union National Bank of Charlotte).
Carson, Miller, and Wadsworth sell the Rudisill property to Rudisill Gold Mining Company of Hartford, CT. Rudisill workings are greatly expanded and the main shaft is extended to 300 feet.
After a public auction, Rudisill is sold back to Carson, Miller, and Wadsworth. The main shaft is extended to 350 feet.
The St. Catherines Mine; owned by John Wilkes, employs 30 men. The shaft is extended to 370 feet.
The St. Catherines mining activity is suspended and there is very little activity at the Rudisill Mine.
An electric street car service is established and runs through Dilworth and Wilmore.
Thomas Edison comes to Charlotte to investigate using electricity to help miners extract gold. Mr. Edison sets up shop in the basement of the U.S. Mint building.
The Carson, Miller, and Wadsworth heirs sell the Rudisill property to the St. Catherine-Rudisill Gold Mining Company of New York City, NY. The Mines are managed by George E. Price, a mining engineer with South African experience.
St. Catherine-Rudisill Gold Mining Company defaults. Rudisill Mine is then purchased by Robert C. Carson, Charles F. Wadsworth (descendents of the original owners) and Robert M. Miller. Within a few years, the Carson Family obtains the sole rights of The Rudisill Gold Mine.
St. Catherines mine closes for good.
The Charlotte Mint houses the Charlotte Women's Club and The Red Cross, during World War I
The Charlotte Mint is slated to be demolished and a group of private citizens acquire the structure, from the U.S. Treasury Department, in 1933
The Rudisill Mine Inc., leases the Rudisill property form J.H. Carson. The Rudisill Mine reopens to help unemployed skilled men, during the depression.
The Rudisill Mine is the largest producer of gold in NC.
The Charlotte Mint is relocated to South Charlotte and opened as the Mint Museum of Art, the first museum of art in North Carolina.
The Rudisill Mine ceases gold mining operations for good.
The establishment of Charlotte - Mecklenburg zoning.
Interstate 277 (Brookshire Freeway and John Belk Freeway) is completed between Uptown Charlotte and the Historical Gold Mining area.
South End is established. Revitalization of historical industrial buildings begin and they are turned into a mixed use district, focusing on Art and design.
Trolley service is reestablished between South End and Uptown Charlotte.
The South End Municipal Service District is established.
LYNX Lightrail service is established. The first rail line runs from PIneville to Uptown Charlotte, with two stops in the vicinity of the historical gold mines.